Woke up with a sore throat and coughing this morning. Fortunately I was on a later train to go straight to the medical centre. Anton had poked through a thank-you card from Baby Clouds wearing her "I am 1" hat which I took with me on my travels.

Had full and thorough medical today. They found I have high blood pressure and that I need to lose weight -- lots of weight. First reading was astronomically high, due to white coat syndrome. Second was still high but more reasonable. Felt like Woody Allen on a bad day going to the clinic, but the nurses and South African doctor were pleasant. The doctor said that the issues I had could be turned around. He showed me a chart where the average for a man of my age is an 11 per cent chance of having a heart attack in the next ten years if things remain as they are now. My score was 10 per cent but if I lost weight it would significantly reduce.

It was a good thing to have done and I have a clear picture of what I need to do to keep healthy. Still made me feel somewhat gloomy. Intimations of mortality and yet another difficult accommodation.

Travelled back to work in the afternoon. Being treated like a ghost by many there, though not all. Quite interesting time from a sheerly observational viewpoint.

Had a good laugh with Hazel -- whose idea it was for me to go there. Had nice chats with Matty boy and Maddog on the phone too.

Otherwise arrived back home to Brighton quite early and went out with Anton having small glasses of beer in a variety of splendid boozers and bars.

Will start the new hair shirt health regime tomorrow.

Comments