Wussy on the white cliffs

Assorted admin this morning including a chat with Keith which quickly strayed into the importance of  cherry shrimps in tropical fish tanks. Keith a big advocate. 

Met Anton at Seaford station at 12:20. Bumped into Joy from next door. She said the walk we were planning was short. Met Anton, and we caught a bus to the entrance to Friston forest, but didn't go in but instead and walked back across the water to to the Cuckmere Inn, then along a path towards Cuckmere Haven and the sea, passing a couple of houses that have not yet eroded into the sea. 

Disappointingly I was feeling twitchy, and after a while of walking, I got to a point where I was standing by empty fields with a sheer drop on the other side. Ticked all my boxes for feeling too exposed, and so we did a u-turn. Anton kind about it. Especially as we had to go the long way back which after his knee operation is a bit testing on his walking. I shall conquer Seaford Head but next time I will choose another route, at a time when I am feeling less twitchy. While everything is fine at the moment, I am following my typical pattern of feeling long buried anxiety when there is nothing apparently to provoke it. This means the anxiety attaches itself to crazy things like feeling exposed on the sides of cliffs.

Despite all this neurotic nonsense, very good to be sauntering about with Anton in the countryside, catching up on stuff, and hearing about the 1930s German glider he is going to build. He showed me films of it flying when we were on the bus. They look weirdly organic.

Anton and I made it back to The Old Boot Inn, and had a couple of beers and all was well. Anton got out his 'bones' out to play dominoes. And when Lorraine joined us we had a three hander. After this game was over, we played Escobar, a Spanish card game, which despite not being Euchre is fun and employs a Spanish pack where the suits are Clubs, Swords, Coins and Hearts. The Boot was closed to the public at six however, as the whole pub had been booked for a birthday party. There should be a law against this sort of thing. We had a half in Steamworks before Anton caught his train. Lorraine went to the supermarket, and I popped across the road to score fish and chips. 

Chilled happily indoors with Lorraine this evening. All well. 

Below white cliffs.









Comments