Chichester and old friends

Up and out today. A gorgeous sunny spring day. After collecting a phone charger Dawn had left at a pal's house, off to Steyning to collet Dawn and Lorraine drove us to Chichester. Went to the Cathedral there which has a few gorgeous windows, and a window by Marc Chagall, which I didn't like very much, but that may have been because it had little light passing through it when we were there.

A cup of coffee and an eccles cake for me in the cafe, and enjoyed chatting with Dawn and Lorraine. Dawn cheerful at present and has been dating a nice man. Chatting later it seems by coincidence that he has exactly the same birthday as me.

Then we went to The Pallant House Art Gallery which has a lot of twentieth English Art in it, some of it quite interesting. Several pieces by Graham Sutherland, a Lucien Freud and this piece by Ceri Richards I enjoyed. There was a big exhibition of Leonard Rosoman's work called Painting Theatre, which was interesting but brought out my inner Plato as making art about another art is at too many removes from reality.

Sauntering back through Chichester's pedestrianised town centre, I bumped into Martin Buchan, an old friend from my Chiswick days, who still lives there. Not seen him for years, and it was odd to bump into him there. Good to chat for a bit. Said I would look him up in London for a proper chat.

Drove home via Steyning, and then went off to meet Matt and Reuben in the Hare and Hounds. Very loud in there of a Saturday night. Good to see them both, especially Matt who I've not seen much of lately. A bit of a catch up for a hour or so, then Lorraine and I pushed off to The Shahi to have a curry. Enjoyed this a great deal, and I drank more beers there too, so my top hat was slightly askance as we walked home.

Below Matt and Reuben, inside the Chichester Cathedral, street art near the Pallant Gallery, Dawn and Lorraine, the lovely South Trancept Window, the Chagall window and views outside the Cathedral.












Comments