Cherry blossom and deleted time

A fleeting Japanese moment this morning. Walking through the graveyard on the way to work and seeing the cherry trees plumb with pink blossom. The April page of my Japanese desk calendar given me by Hitomi has the boar sprawled under cherry blossom, with the legend "Cherry blossom viewing. Under the cherry blossoms, all drink and make merry till late in the night". Wondered what would be going on now in Japan with national reports of the cherry blossom line sweeping down the country, and felt really happy remembering how much I had enjoyed my trip there at Christmas.

Although I didn't drink and make merry till late in the night, it was a very cheerful day. Young Dan, who I have always liked, had a leaving meal outside on the terrace at Riverside studios in surprisingly hot sunshine at lunchtime. And it was here I learned was that aviator shades are back in fashion again.

Then back to work for the afternoon before the party continued on the agency terrace in the evening sun. Cleverly left early however rather than risk feeling groggy for the mighty Dragon walk tomorrow.

Because I am reading the Time Traveler's Wife I seem to be having conversations about time at the moment. One interesting chat with Nick a young copywriter, who said that he hated the past. He called it "deleted time", and it was as painful to think about the good times being gone forever, as remembering the bad times. Even family photos of distant Lithuanian relatives who died before he was born make him feel depressed too. Find this all quite odd as I treasure my memories.

Fond farewells to Dan, and to Trace who is off to be fighty with Chinese martial arts trainers in China for two weeks. Then home and fish and chips and fairly early and blamelessly to bed.

Below cherry blossom, and young Dan sporting de rigueur aviator shades.




Comments