Alice Russell

Up early, and though not exactly fresh as a daisy, I was full of cheeriness. After walking out early to get fresh bread from the patisserie and a paper, I snacked on kippers and toast, then had an exceedingly pleasant chat with Sprinkles for about three hours. In three weeks we will be laughing over a nice cup of tea instead of the Atlantic.

My groceries from the Internet shopping were delivered but I haven't quite mastered this yet, as I found a carefully wrapped single carrot, and a single banana. After talking to Sarah, I spent much of the afternoon making ineffectual attempts to tidy up.

Anton came by in the evening with tickets to see Brighton's own diva Alice Russell. Anton was always playing Hurry On Now when I first moved to Brighton, and it gradually became the soundtrack to my first few months here.

We met up with Rick in the St James in Kemptown and headed off down to Concorde 2, which is down by the sea, and is an excellent venue: not too big, and good acoustics.

I tremendously enjoyed Alice and her band. Her band (there were six others) were fabulous. I was struck by their sheer ability and creativity. But they came across as being totally down to earth and likeable. Quite jazzy and free and the keyboard player driving some giddying changes. Very funky too. A great night out, and I will definitely see Alice Russell again.

We wandered out into the sea air enthusiastically talking about the gig. And popped into a pub where we bumped into the backing singer and said hello. Then we said walked to yet another pub. En route I forced Sprinkles and Anton to speak on the phone. There seems to be some common ground which is worrying.

Back in the St James, Anton and I explained to Rick about how our arguments are really just truncated versions of longer ones, to which we both know the script. For example Anton can look at me and say something offhand like "but then you don't really like music". This is shorthand for the fact that I don't revere turntables and vinyl, so I am unable to experience music properly (except when I am at Anton's house) which reflects a fundamental flaw in my musical appreciation. The counter to this is to say wearily "but I listen to the music". This stands for Anton's obsession with the formats and paraphernalia prevents him from listening to the music at all, and how one glance at his record collection... etc. etc." It's all quite tiresome really but keeps us amused.

Then bade goodbye to Rick before Anton and I went our separate ways, having scored yet more Chinese grub. A top night out. Quick messages to Sprinkles and then bed.

Below the wonderful Alice Russell at Concorde 2.






Comments