A whale of a time

Lorraine went for a meditation walk this morning and had a bit of a day of recovery from doing lots of driving yesterday. I did some writing this morning and went to the gym in the afternoon. 

At five thirty Lorraine and I went to the Old Boot Inn, and met Steve, who had his pal Freya, an old pal from his Berlin days, with him. Freya on holiday from Sacramento, and we both liked her. She was surprised I had been to Sacramento, and I told her a bit about Toby's adventures. 

Lorraine and I mooched off to the Barn theatre to watch The Whale -- a film with its stage roots clearly visible. The action almost entirely confined to the obese lead character's apartment. A profoundly miserable film, and very theatrical in its dialogue and little climaxes. Memorable certainly, and a fabulous performance from Hong Chau. But I was tempted to leave at one point, which is not a thought I have often in the cinema.  Nevertheless it was good to be watching a film in the local cinema.  Walked home looking at the stars from our street and were happy to be home.



Comments