Trying to end well

Hurrah! No work today, and the bank holiday staple of steady rain. However I got up early as I have been working on a new collection of poems. Charlotte said to me a year or so ago, that if my poems work together better as groups why not enter more pamphlet competitions. So there is another deadline tomorrow. New collection called Chrononaut. Unfortunately one of those days when the more effort you put into something the worse it becomes. Feeling somewhat frustrated, which seems to have been the chief emotion of the week. Lorraine out, meanwhile, getting her fitness assessment at her new gym. Frustration peaked when I got an email about a long poem I had submitted ten weeks ago, but mystifyingly I had attached all the workings of the poem, some 68 pages, but not the poem itself. The editor puzzled. I literally hated myself for wasting two and a half months this way, and I will have to wait months before I can resubmit it. I hated myself for about five minutes.

Sonia arrived shortly after.  I had ducked out in the rain to buy her some chocolate beforehand. She showed me a video of the way they decorate eggs with wax and thread and various other techniques in Bulgaria. You also boil and prepare a red egg to leave by an icon of Mary for the year. If the old egg is still heavy next year when you come to replace it with the new egg, everything is fine. If it is empty, woe betide you.

This helped me normalise somewhat and I was able to get on with work again after this. Lorraine home and assessed. She'd done lots of exercises and so on. Her blood pressure is excellent and her flexibility very good apparently.

In the evening we went off to the Crescent, near St Michael and All Angels, to drop in on the lovely James as it was his birthday. Lots of people there, including his Mum and sister and aunt, and creative people of all types, many with tidy beards. I chatted to James's mum, and Lorraine and I had a conversation with a couple in lycra who ran a hot yoga school. Apparently some people have to learn how to sweat. My chief observation was that it allowed you to squat, splayed-kneed, on the floor like a frog when talking to friends. Lorraine and I made fond farewells with James, and we walked home up Mount Beaky feeling happy that we have time off now. Alls well that ends well.

Comments