Paddle Round the Pier

Slept the sleep of the just. Woke up to a cheery message from Matt who must have been up half the night buzzing. Lay in bed with Lorraine feeling very happy and relieved that the recording of the CD seems to have gone well. Later Matt forwarded me an email from Simon "Sounds great! Hi Matt I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday's session, and checking the recordings back whilst backing up data today wanted to let you know that it all sounds very good indeed."

Beautifully sunny day, and after Lorraine and I had breakfasted (and I had re-hydrated) we sauntered down to the Hove Lawns by the sea, for the "Paddle Round the Pier" event. This is an event where people paddle around the remains of the old pier. As is usual in Brighton, this has grown rapidly into a massive event, and there were hundreds of tents, funfair rides and, from Beth and Mark, performances for Goldman's stage school (poignant because this is their last week of attendance).

We met Beth and Mark who were also working in the VIP tent. Lorraine and I allowed in, and Mark poured me a free pint of hair of the dog. VIPs were few, with the notable exception of the lady mayor and veteran comedian Ronnie Corbett, who at 80 looked exactly as he did in the 70s. He sported a luridly colourful tartan bazer. Betty had met him before as she knows the family. Richard and Glenda arrived too, Richard wearing an uncharacteristically restrained teeshirt (normally favouring Hawaiian shirts that force you to don your sunglasses indoors).

Then off to see Betty and Mark sing with other members of the stage school from a large tent. There we were joined by Anna and Anton and my Godbairns.

Beth kicked off with singing Cabaret, really ballsy vocals. Mark singing his heart out and full of confidence. I really enjoyed it. As the finale they sang a sad but rousing chorus from some musical and Lorraine began crying steadily.

Then a wander about looking at everything. Oskar repeatedly licking my arm, and Klaudia was always after the thing just ahead. Chatted to Anton and arranged to see him next week. He has plotted out the course of a new grand walk for us to do.

Then watched the school doing some exhausting dancing. Anna and Anton then left and Lorraine and I drifted off to grab a bite to eat at Zizzi's. I had a sunburned neck, despite sporting my straw hat all day. L and I beginning to plan the big move over large olives.

Computer still working.

Below shots of the general scene at Paddle round the pier. I think the first picture may be one of the best I have ever taken.











Comments

Amanda said…
That big plastic ball is a Zorb - a Kiwi invention :)