Resolutions

I like the idea of New Year's resolutions. Why not reaffirm your choices and take a helicopter view of life? I made mine several days ago. First is that I have decided to forefront my own health, and the single best thing I could do for myself is to lose 20kg. I am making this declaration as public as possible so as to encourage lip curling sneers if I don't stick to it. Jan 4th is the day my new regime begins, and if I could achieve anything by positive visualisation alone I would already be there. I am approaching it three ways. Steady exercise, reduced food intake (especially my 10pm snack attack) and taking an extended holiday from boozes. Luckily Lorraine is thinking along the same lines so we will, hopefully, be gauntly healthy in due course.

Even someone who can be as blithely oblivious to the bleedin' obvious as me, has noticed that if I have achieved anything recently it has been with the help of other people. Lorraine apart from her many other qualities, is the most supportive person I have ever met.

I have also been incredibly lucky in my collaborators Richard Fleming and Matt Pollard. So many of the good things artistically that have happened to me in 2010 have been through these two. Being a writer is essentially a solitary job, and to find like minds is a boon. My resolution is to mingle more with other writers and artists. I have historically had a chip on my shoulder about myself as an artist, but as someone who has a book behind them, an ongoing and fruitful collaboration with a composer, and half a dozen other irons in the fire I need to get over this.

But mainly I must remember to count my numerous blessings. I am solvent, I work at things I love, I have a lovely partner, delightful family and some fabulous friends, somewhere nice to live in the best little City in England, and a pleasant cat. These are untold riches.

Comments

livesbythewoods said…
You can do it. Just don't be too hard on yourself, and don't expect too much too soon. I just worked out how many Kg I have lost since I started seriously managing my weight, and it is almost 13.

I intend to lose just over 30 in total, so we can keep each other focussed when necessary. Good luck! And Happy New Year.
Peter Kenny said…
Blimey 13 is fantastic. My new unit of weight is the modest turkey. Our one was a little under 5kg and it was pretty heavy to carry after a while. You are already not carrying 2.3 turkeys.
Good resolutions Peter.

I've made two: have my book finished and be back in decent shape by my annual summer holiday at home.

Good luck.

Mark
Peter Kenny said…
Cheers Mark - and good luck with that book!