Kate and Matty in The Bull's Head

Up to the smoke this afternoon, as it was another non website day. Curiously, I felt a sense of excitement about being in London. The Thames looked like liquid metal as the train rolled across the bridge to Victoria station.
It was noticably colder in London than Brighton. Went for a brief walk around Victoria, rubbernecking at some new buildings, before tubing west to Chiswick. Got off at Turnham Green. And was struck by the purple sky and silhouette of chimneys on the road I used to live on before moving to Brighton. It feels good to have moved on.

I really like Chiswick, and I was on some kind of pilgrimage as I wandered about old haunts. Paused to buy three books of poetry, and the Children's Writers' and Artists' yearbook 2009. Then my feet led me down to Strand on the Green and the Bull's Head - where I met a cheerful and relaxed First Matie for a long overdue beer.

The Bull's Head is my old local pub, so I am always happy to go back there especially in Winter when it's not swamped with tourists. It's a boon that Kate and Matty's appartments are now virtually next door. Heard about her recent trip to Tenerife, and plans for radio plays, and about her burgeoning freelance career. Then bumped into some friends of Kate's, before Matty arrived. Not seen Matty boy for some time either, and we ate pies to celebrate. He is going to replace The French Bloke in the agency I did some work for recently (the FB is moving on to another one) and seemed in fine spirits.

Also met Jess, Matty's new flatmate, and talked to her about astrology, and David whose favourite poet was Edward Thomas. I seemed to be holding forth a bit. But eventually the yarp of the seagull grew strong in me, and I snoozed my way home to Brighton, wishing I had my specs so I could read all the books I'd bought.

Got a note from Giles at the BBC saying my comment would be on the news site soon, which is fun.
Below a view from the platform at Turnham Green. Just liked the stumpy cutback trees, and the gorgeous colour of the sky.

Comments