Counting my blessings

So here I am on the last day of the year, counting my blessings, and looking back at the year.

Best thing is that Mum has completed her chemotherapy, after her cancer op in the spring, and is well and returning to her old self. Mase has done a great job of staying positive and taking care of her during her recovery. Happily Toby and Romy are both fine and doing well too... somewhere in Central America catching some rays and culture.

Turns out that Lorraine is someone to whom being nurturing, and emotionally generous comes as naturally as leaves do to a tree. I am very lucky. This year too I became a Godfather to Oskar and Klaudia, an event I found surprisingly moving. I continue to be blessed with many friends, and it would take many, many blog entries to do them all justice.

In 2008 I laid the foundations for a different life. My move to being a freelance writer continues to be sustainable, and I have balanced interesting, often well-paid work with being able to spend time on what is important to me. I have completed and submitted a coherent collection of poems; I'm halfway through the second draft of my children's novel - which seems to me to be the best thing I have ever written - and I have other bits and pieces up my sleeve, and more projects to push on with in the new year.

In a year of ground work it seems appropriate that I've had success in my spiritual home of Guernsey. My poetry about the island has been exhibited in St Peter Port, published in magazines and an anthology, even been driven around the island in a Guernsey bus. Also having a poem chosen to be in the (not yet published) anthology of Auschwitz poetry felt very special too.

I have appeared on BBC Southern Counties radio, after literally being seized off the street as I walked past the station, and followed up this lucky break with a piece about childlessness. I have twice featured on the BBC website this month too - including this today.

So it has been an interesting year, in which I have worked hard at things that are important to me, and have been surrounded by the affection and support of friends and relatives. My blessings are many. I am a very lucky person.

And if you've dropped by to read this blog over the year... Thank you, and Happy New Year!

Comments