Taking Hitomi for a ruby

In the evening off to Park Lane to meet the lovely Hitomi who has been touring around Europe on business. She looked very businesslike when I met her, and I think her work is going well. After I left work, I went into Harrods to get her a little present. Not been in there for ages. It is a fantastic place. I want to go back just to look at everything properly.

Then I walked around the Shepherds Market an area I didn't know. Then I sat in the lobby bar of the Intercontinental with a large gin and tonic (which went straight to my head) fiddling with some ideas, and scarfing the free nuts and crisps. Called First Matie when I was waiting to let her know I intended to steal one of her ideas. She was in Annie's when I called, and she told me that I owed her a beer.

Hitomi came shortly after, and I decided to take her out to Shepherds Market. Trying to think of a typically English night out - so I took her for a curry (aka, in rhyming slang, a Ruby, short for Ruby Murray which rhymes with curry. Pay attention you non-Brits!). I have a nice photo of her with a glass of beer about to tuck into a curry which I will upload when I get a chance.

As my vast Intercontinental gin and tonic wore off I realised with horror that I'd taken her to a grimy dive of the worst sort. The meal when it came was an abomination and an affront to human decency. When the rather refreshed businessmen in the corner started being shouty the authenticity of the night was confirmed.

However, we still had a really nice time, and it was excellent to see her. And I learnt that okra is the same word in Japanese too. Walked her back to the hotel and after fond farewells, I made off for Brighton, arriving home at about 12:30 listening to the audiobook version of My family and other animals and thinking about Greek sunshine.

Comments

Kate said…
Well, seeing as you had the decency to call me and let me know in advance that's why it was only a beer. Not dinner. :-)