Off to the Americas today, a 4:50am start which was a little challenging. Journey good apart from tiresome queues caused by Virgin's computer failing at Heathrow. There appears to be a sinister Peter Kenny on a banned from flying list, as they always have to phone to check that I am not about to blow the plane up. Got talking to a woman next to me in the queue who turned out to be a she-Gnome, a Welsh art director.

Few horrors on the plane. After the doors were locked, the pilot explained it was going to be bumpy, but luckily the journey was largely smooth, and I even managed to doze off once or twice entirely unaided by gin and tonic. I had a window seat and enjoyed peering down at the frozen north: icy seas below Greenland, and the vast tracts of snowy Canada.

Galling queues at JFK. Waited in line at immigration for almost an hour, knowing MJ was about 100 yards away. Finally through, and MJ looking all lovely and businesslike in a little black suit and her hair up fresh from a second job interview. Much fond squeezing then off in the car to Northport and a late lunch of a large Jalapeno burger and a glass of cold beer. As always, had the "of course" feeling again. Being driven down the Jericho Turnpike by MJ seems like the most normal thing in the world. Amazing really that you can start the day in Brighton and spend the latter part of it in Long Island.

The house where MJ and the bairns are living is excellent and surrounded by garden. Arrived there and met Kathleen, who had been keeping an eye on the kids. She has known MJ since third grade and I really liked her.

As we came in I could hear Kate shouting "Peter Kenny's here" and ran up to me. Jack gave me a hug. All well. Produced two large Toblerones and Kate stuck a whole triangle in her mouth with it poking out of her cheeks just like Toblerone's recent ad campaign.

Did a little shopping where after a brief struggle with MJ I got to push the trolley again. Then back home to watch American Idol pop talent show competition before I could keep my eyes open no longer.

Comments

Kate said…
Hey Pete, don't forget Reuben is over in NY at the moment too, picking up his gong. Not sure how you'd get in touch but you could have a two-thirds CSR, which would have the added advantage of making me seethe with jealousy. PS: Big hugs to MJ x