Good news! MJ received confirmation of her job at the Kiddy Academy as an assitant director, which makes her both big and clever.

MJ and me went off to Walt Whitman's birthplace today, which is a little sanctuary of poesy across the unprepossessing Route 110 from the Walt Whitman mall. There is a small and tasteful lecture theatre and abundant quotes and photos etc. on the walls. There is also the restored farmhouse where he was born on the 31st May 1819 and lived the first four years of his life there on his father's farm. We sat through a short film about Walt which quoted from many of his fine works, and then were taken around the house on a guided tour. Enjoyable, but not terribly remarkable, but some photogenic bits which I will add here in a few days.

In the evening MJ and me took the LIRR into Manhattan to meet Weezer and Troy June. Very nice to see them too. We met them at the Generations 5 2006 exhibition at the A.I.R. Gallery, which was an exhibition of art by women, where Weezer (Diane June) had one of her pieces. I can honestly say that I thought Weezer's piece was the best one. There was lots of work there, some of it very accomplished, MJ liked a piece made from rust on paper and I quite liked a circular painting of treetops, but Weezer's use of colour is unlike anyone I have seen, and is entirely distinctive.

It was rammed in the A.I.R. gallery, and was hot and ironically airless. After gulping complimentary wine, and me taking a photo of Weezer, we left in search of food randomly ending up conducting the knife and forkwork in quite a nice Persian restaurant.

Then the hour-long journey home, with MJ making with the zeds, and me fighting to keep my eyes open so we didn't miss our station.

Below is Weezer with her painting on her left. The other is a snap in Walt Whitman's birthplace.

Comments

badgerdaddy said…
Hurrah! Pass on the congratulations of a total stranger!