Market day

All of us up fairly early, and we made off into Sées for the Saturday market. Perhaps a dozen or so large stands serving gorgeous produce. If only the Seaford market was half as good. A table with bell peppers of all colours in the sunlight absolutely zinged out with colour. Lorraine and I bought and tested two jars of local honey, harvested in different summer months. There were two lists of the flowers the bees would have visited. We had small spoonful of each. They were absolutely delicious and very different. Beth and James and Enzo mooched about and went off to the Patisserie, while Lorraine and I joined a long queue -- it took ages to be served but nobody seemed to mind. We fell into conversation with a young Anglo-French couple who lived in Paris. In the wait I managed to assemble enough French to ask for trois tranches de biftek pour le barbecue. Beth cooked us a delicious meal this evening, with steak for the others, and some pork for me.

A warmer day with lots of sunshine today. The others even got into the unheated pool. Enzo in his little paddling pool splashing happily about. At tea time, Lorraine and I took the wee bairn into the zoo area when Charlie was there. 

Enzo very dubious about the miniature horses, but liked the goats. Of course, Charlie has become enchanted by him. Otherwise,  Charlie a tad gloomy today, telling me gloomily in a mixture of French and mime that France was finished, the economy was terrible and was and falling terribly behind the other European countries. I tried to tell him that there were people in England who might say the same thing about England. I couldn't tell what the root cause of his gloom was though.

A pleasant evening, played the card game Exploding Kittens, which James sensationally cheated at, and kept the sudden death card in his lap instead of falling on his sword. Lovely to see Beth's mix of being scandalised and amused in equal measure. A mini visitant this evening, a mouse emerged from under the  washing machine and darted about for a bit. Everyone said it looked sweet. That's the advantage of not being at home. 

To bed early. I read more of The Go-Between. Really enjoying this book.

Below, the packaging on Twinings tea, James playing with Enzo, a random lane, the twin spires of the Cathedral, Enzo in a full body swimming costume.










 




Comments