Relaxing into Greece

Oh the joy of not having to get up at a hideous hour, and not feeling utterly exhausted all day having slept  peacefully in our Greek beds -- apart from when I dropped a glass of water on the tiles in the middle of the night.  I bought some bread and water from a nearby shop at around nine, and Lorraine and I had a totally relaxed start with breakfast on the terrace, and then after faffing about a bit getting ready, down to the seaside for another swim. Although it is clearly not high summer here, we have a sense of winding time backwards and having a stolen slice of summer again.

Utterly beautiful underwater. We swam along together along the north side of the bay, where there are cold streams running into the water which was cold on your skin. Everywhere are beautiful fish.  Unable to resist, I had a further swim while Lorraine got out, and met another octopus who boldly flared at me, before thinking better of things and melting away. It is genuinely like swimming in a vast aquarium, with shoals of fish, and if you look closely at a part of the seabed where nothing much seems to be happening you will soon notice a wrasse or a goby going about its business. 

In the evening Lorraine and I went back to Thomas's Taverna and sat out on the pebbles by the sea. Gorgeous colours even looking east as we do here. We shared a Greek salad to start, and Lorraine had a kelftiko which was a bit small but tasty, while I had some pork souvlaki with minimal chips. Dessert too, I had a delicious orange cake intensely orange made with orange skin and honey I think, Lorraine snapped into baklava again, as she found it delicious yesterday. Home and texting our Meganisi pals, and downing ouzo and Fanta on the balcony before heading to bed.










  

Comments