A spot of posh nosh

More energetic today. Still did writing and lurked in the room, but in the afternoon Lorraine and I went back to the beach and snorkelled, and relaxed on sun loungers listening to podcasts and reading, and eating tasty spanakopita pies. 

Beth and James arrived in Italy for a wedding today.

I had another long swim a couple of hours later. Feel so happy drifting about with fish, who seem unconcerned about human presence. Loving their abundance here. For the first time I did not see an octopus, but I have already seen more here than anywhere else.

In the evening we went to The White House, where Lawrence Durrell lived, which is now a fine dining restaurant with a formality about the staff. I thought about the great writer a bit, and his Alexandria Quartet, which I have not read since I was in my late teens. His novels and poetry was published by Faber. His star has waned a bit in the UK at least. I wonder what he would have made of the restaurant.

His travel writing is amazing too. We ate very well there and enjoyed ourselves despite a table of drunks nearby.  Lorraine ate a delicious salad with all kinds of tomatoes in it, followed by bream and beetroot. I had anchovies in some sort of crumb with a spicy dipping sauce, followed by shrimps and orzo. For dessert we had deconstructed baclava, while I had a brick of chocolatey mousse in a hard chocolate coating with dabs of raspberry sauce. All good stuff although for me contributing to bad indigestion later.

Below snaps of the moon rises a day or two from full. And a not particularly flattering picture of Lorraine on the White House terrace.  We drank a couple of small Corfu beers rather than pay enormous amounts for wine.








Comments