A visit from the Basingstoke posse

The chest infection I brought home still making me feel a bit rough. Still a lucky day as I had nowhere to go and nothing arduous to do.

Instead Glenice, Heather and Maria came to visit down from Baskingstoke. Glenice is Beth's grandmother, Heather Beth's aunt and Lorraine's former sister in law, and Maria is Lorraine's niece. Lorraine and Beth happily cooking chickens and delicious potato spinach and goats cheese flans. I enjoyed hanging out chatting to Glenice again and to Heather, who I'd only met once before and really liked.

Glenice is a stalwart at her church, and I told her about working with the religious charity and was interested to hear her opinions on them.

Maria, who particularly adores Beth, is living an increasingly independent life away from home which she seems to be enjoying a great deal. Maria has a extravert and funny personality and talked to me several times too. Occasionally when things get hard to express Maria will look into a reflecting surface to gather herself, such as the back of a spoon or when she was talking to me, into the shiny metal of the fridge.

She and Beth cooked some excellent shortbread, which Maria was very proud about.

Once our guests had left, Lorraine and I flaked out listening to music. Beth off out with John. A quiet night. Couldn't help noticing how grey the world was compared to Greece. Still very happy to be home though, and conscious of how lucky we are.

A Beth selfie of herself and Maria making shortcake.



Comments