Gee'd up

Stressed. Off to the doctor's first thing where I found in the waiting room a leaflet about erection problems I'd written about ten years ago prominently on display. Still standing, I thought as I scooped one up to keep as I am useless at retaining samples of this kind of work.

Then the nurse syringed my ear, and talked to me a good deal when my head was full of bubbling surges. It needed two attempts and then, miraculously, for the first time in three weeks I could hear again, in stereo too. Everything seemed very loud.

After a couple of hours of various types of house and neighbour nonsense, I scooted up to London to Gee Street quite near the Barbican, arrived a little early and marvelled at St Luke's a church now used by the LSO and co-built by Hawksmoor, which has the strangest tower I have ever seen on a church.

Then a meeting with the nice Melody Dawes to discuss my book proposal. She explained that the publishing model had changed recently and her company were focusing on highly instructional books for a postgraduate audience - so although she would pass it on to the commissioning editor, it probably does not fit their remit -- although it was intriguing. However she really liked what I'd done, so they would consider commissioning me to write books for them in future. So, all-in-all, considering this is the first people I have sent it to, definitely a result. The book is not yet rejected, I might be commissioned to write for them, I have learned lots from Melody about the publishing landscape from their perspective and I came away feeling very encouraged.

Was toying with the idea of lurking in London for a bit but the call of the seagull grew strong in me as I was feeling rather drained from the cocktail of stresses. Home and when Lorraine came home we went for a walk to another house we might put an offer on, and then past the house which we should be moving into. On that front the owner has now decided that she might want to move out after all. We are pursing plan B however until something definite happens. We popped into a nice pub nearby, which would have been our local if we had moved into the original house, for a soothing cold beer and to discuss our many options.

Below St Luke's.




Comments