A tough day

This morning it has become clear that the woman we are buying the house from has done nothing since she accepted our offer to move out. She is evading the issue as are her solicitors.  I spent the morning terrifying the estate agents, but it seems we have no option but to start looking afresh.

Glancing at Facebook on my return from the gym I learned that my friend Sarah Sprinkles had died. She had been fighting cancer for several years now, but she was incredibly brave, humorous and inspiring to others during this period. I've never met anyone like her - and although I knew she was ill I hadn't realised how critical this had become. 

Then shortly after this Toby contacted me with the sad news that Hiroko had died suddenly last night at home in Japan. I am upset about this, as Hiroko has been unfailingly kind to me, and she is such a characterful person, often crackling with humour. I have had many good times in her company, and one particular night singing and drinking with her in a Kyoto snack bar at the end of 2006 I will never forget.

Romy had been speaking to her only the day before, and I feel very much for Romy, who has also had Ethan's death to contend with recently. 

Spoke to Mum saying that good news is hard to find at present. Left feeling a bit numbed, and was pleased to see Lorraine back from work and to walk about the park. 

Then some unexpected good news. The proposal I sent to the publisher Kogan Page about my marketing book  appears to have piqued their interest, and I have been invited to have a chat with them next Monday.

Below Hiroko and I in Japan on my first visit there in Jan 2007, and Hiroko at the head of her table in January this year, on the night before Lorraine and I flew home.


Comments