Tome raider

Up early and enjoyed a full Guernsey breakfast in the Barbarie, while reading Appointment With Venus. Then some cyber faffing before I caught the bus into town. Went straight to Creaseys and Boots on the High Street to ask about leg camouflage creams for Mum. Some raised eyebrows, and people asking penetratingly what I would use them for. Abandoning this transvestite mission, I set about my day's work.

After nosing in bookshops, my first step was to spend a couple of hours in the Priaulx Library where I met Amanda Bennett, the Chief Librarian. She was interested in the Anthology project, and took some time to show me an extensive collection of books, all of which have some tenuous connection to Guernsey. She told me a few things right away I didn't know, such as PG Wodehouse went to school here, and that Samuel Coleridge-Taylor the composer had performed on the island. And that Edmund Keane the nineteenth century Shakespearean was pelted with vegetables in St Peter Port. Spent a happy couple of hours with my nose in dusty tomes. A venerable place, busy with people tracking down old stories from the Guernsey Press, and tracing their ancestors.

Then to the Guernsey Museum, which is a matter of a few yards away. Here I met Guernsey's switched on Museums Director Jason Monaghan. Interesting chat with him. He also gave me a signed copy of a self-published book written under his nom de plume Jason Foss called Islands that never were. After a brief look at The Three Garnsey Women Martyred by the Papists {Anno 1556} I made my way back to St Martins.

In the hotel, I spent some time cursing my computer, and doing some work for Jeanne my lovely French client. Also sent Toby a note to wish him well for his birthday. He will be in Blighty soon, and hopefully staying with me, which will be smart.

In the evening caught the bus back into town, and had a drink in The Ship and Crown still reading Appointment with Venus. Something really nice about it being a pocket sized hardback (it was printed in 1951).

Slipping around the corner to meet Richard and Jane in Christies. Here we had a good meal and gossiped about poetry, literature, and Guernsey looking over the harbour towards Herm. It was good to see my new friends. This time there were no rib in juries as we were comparatively restrained, especially as Jane is recovering from an op last week. Then Richard drove me back to the hotel and, after fond farewells, I repaired to my room to sip tea and watch a romantic comedy called Prime.

Comments

Lakshmi said…
He did indeed. He also attended schools in Croydon, Dover and, of course, West Dulwich.