New and old stagers

A hot night and a hotter day. Up at seven to get cracking on Skelton Yawngrave again. Toby sleeping off his jetlag upstairs. Worked for four hours or so and then hung out with Toby for a bit of tea drinking and chatting over lunch. Then he trundled down the Twitten and up to the smoke to see Mum and Mas.

I spent the rest of the day working, apart from a dead to the world doze for an hour. Got an email from Jason at Guernsey museums who tells me that there was a Dr Who novelisation set on Guernsey. Amazing.

In the evening walked off to BHASVIC to meet Lorraine to see Beth and Mark in a college drama presentation: a collection of monologues and excerpts from plays from Sophocles to Jean-Claude Van Itallie. Beth and Mark were by far the best boy and girl. Both outstanding. Some of the kids are merely walking about saying lines, whereas Beth and Mark and two or three others can genuinely act, and the gulf is enormous. Sheep and goats. And Lorraine quietly proud beside me.

In my limited experience, there are two types of interesting actors, those who can metamorphose into other people before your eyes, and those who can be themselves in a relaxed and fascinating way. Of actors I've worked with, Mindy was one of the chameleon types, and Tim Gallagher one of the latter. Watching the work, made me think of them.

So imagine my surprise when I returned home to find a very welcome email from Mindy my old collaborator in things theatrical -- and the first time I had heard from her in about nine years. She has a whole new child called Lola, and her son Oz, who I last saw when he was a toddler, is now at senior school. It was great to hear from her.

Watched my new favourite show The Wire again before bed. Just gets better and better.

Comments