Thanksgiving

Limp rag-ish this morning, but off to see Mum and Mase. The trains doomed and replaced by buses etc. En route Matty-boy texted me over the finer points of making a Guernsey Bean Jar.

Collected by Mase at Mill Hill and was driven back to be revived by several cups of tea while Mase told me about his daughter in law and grandchildren, and mum told me about her new Czech mates. Mum has been adopted as cult figure by lots of Czech women.

Then, as Mase got busy in the kitchen Di arrived. Mum me and Di drank large gin and tonics in the conservatory scarfing on pistachio nuts. Then Tanya and Robert arrived. Very pleasant afternoon all round with lots of turkey-based knife-and-forkwork and some bizarre conversations between Mase and Tanya with their differing Californian and Filipina perspectives on the definition of confidence tricksters, virgins, Moonies, heaven etc.

Last thing at night, I got a text from Matty saying his bean jar was a triumph: I felt a powerful up-welling of avuncular pride.

Comments

Kate said…
I have yet to taste a Guernsey bean jar. I have lots of beans though - can you post the recipe? I can swap you Kate's Cottage Pie...
Peter Kenny said…
Ah First Matie. I can't believe you have never had some from me before. But to cook a Peter Kenny bean jar you need dried haricot and butter beans soaked overnight and boiled for an hour. Then the meat... is beef or lamb (traditionally on the bone), lots of fresh parsley, fresh sage, rosemary, a clove or two of garlic and a very large chopped onion. Occasionally, if the mood takes you, a bit of carrot too.

Essentially you put all these ingredients in your bean jar (or casserole dish) and slow cook for a minimum of six hours on a low heat. It should have a thick gravy and a world of beany goodness. You then ladle it into a bowl, garnished (if you are a bit posh, which you are) with parsley, and served with chunks of brown bread and loads of white pepper.

Traditionally it was served as a sunday morning dish, the bean jars being left overnight in the cooling ovens of the local bakery.