Safely arrived in the USA. Managed to outdo myself in flying neuroses yesterday, not aided by Mike saying helpfully "at least there have only been three plane crashes in the last two weeks - and there were even some survivors in Peru".

Despite being full of foreboding, the flight itself was much better than could be expected. The plane was not full and I was able to stretch out across three seats. As I drifted into a reverie a small Greek child passed in the aisle and tickled my feet. At first I thought I had imagined it but after a few minutes she -- or one of her two comrades -- returned and did the same thing.

Was met by MJ and Weezer at Newark. Wonderful to see MJ and that nice Weezer too.

Funny how there was not one second of strangeness between MJ and me. I always have what I think of as an "of course" feeling. There is something in MJ that says home and completion to me. And I love this.

Everyone was starving so we ate at a vaguely Mexican restaurant and me and Weezer drank some sort of Margheritas. The ladies had performed heroics as MJ had never driven to Newark before. We did get lost on the way home for a bit in some rather dodgy area with lots of people hanging about on corners that necessitated the locking of car doors. Soon however we were driving to Manhattan which does look stunning when you approach it at night. Also saw the Statue of Liberty lit up.

Finally made it home. An amazing loud fizz of crickets at MJ's place. I sat like a bit of a zombie for a while with half my songline still midway over the Atlantic, listening to the girls continue their divergent accounts of how we got home, and whose fault getting lost was and so on till I eventually crawled happily to bed at about 4am UK time.

Comments