Just returned from the show that Reuben has curated called OutsideIn -- bringing street art home. Went with Anna and Baby Klauds and we really enjoyed it. The place was as thronging as you'd want a private view to be. Reub every inch the dashing curator.

The art had a real street art flavour and spread out beyond the usual confines of how art is shown, climbing up the walls and generally covering surfaces. Most interesting to me were two installation-like zones that were like a living room and a kitchen, which had been interfered with. Lightswitches and fridges graffitied over, for example, rather decoratively. And bizarre wallpaper. Lots of little “Is this you” canvasses done by Reub too, of which I asked him to red-dot one for me. As Reub's ticket invitation said "there's broken glass on the bathroom carpet. The smell of spray paint hangs in the air. And someone's done something very nasty in the living room."

To the uninformed viewer like me I was also interested how you couldn't really work out which artist had done what. I imagine this was easy for others to decode though.

Anna and I also met Reuben's mum and dad, Adrian and Diane. Really enjoyed meeting them, they were really good to talk to and friendly. They had read this blog which still feels odd when I meet people who do that before they have met me. Reuben is the spit of Pa Turner -- also said hi to Reubs brother and his pal Marcus who I'd not seen for quite a while.

One of the street artists a very benign looking chap called Pure Evil was pointed out to me. Reuben said as the exhibition was being assembled there was one wall which had a sign on it saying "reserved for pure evil".

Anna was really pleased she had brought Baby Klauds as she enjoyed herself and was particularly taken by a woman with retro punk hair in big black spikes. Anna gave her to me for a bit to give her arms a rest and I was surprised by how heavy she now feels.

Walked Anna and Klauds back up the hill, and poked my head in on a wild-eyed Anton, miserably cramming a year's worth of MA course assignments into two days.

Home and chatted to the divine Tenerelli about wide ranging issues before slumping lifelessly into bed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
pssst

street art... illegal... identities... secret... 9 months for criminal damage... names and faces changed to preserve anonymity...