Jarred ankle painfully this morning as I jerked violently awake from a dream about antique typewriters being thrown into the sea. Got to the station with 30 seconds to spare, a shorter train than usual meant I had to stand most of the way, trying to keep weight off dratted ankle and reading Freud.

I am ashamed to say I have never read anything by Freud until now. I hate the way he writes, or maybe it’s a small brain thing but I seem to have to reread the sentences so many times that I lose interest. And when I do join up the thinking I profoundly disagree with what he is saying.

For example where he is discussing various routes to happiness:

“… the way of life that places love at the centre of everything and expects all satisfaction to come from loving and being loved. This kind of mental attitude comes naturally enough to us all; one manifestation of love, sexual love, has afforded us the most potent experience of overwhelming pleasure and thereby set a pattern for our quest for happiness. What is more natural than that we should go on seeking happiness on the path where we first encountered it?”

Idiot. Can’t remember my Plato too well but back in about 416BC they seem to have realised that love comes in different forms, eros being one of them; agape so-called “Platonic Love” being another. Freud seems to focus on eros as the motor for all the others. Surely the love a child feels for its mother is not erotic? Everything seems to be sexualised in his writing, probably a product of repressive times.

Work poisonous and grindingly dispiriting. I have to leave asap. Did have a nice chat with Mike my art director. He is a very decent guy, and despite being in the same boat as me was trying to reassure me which was unexpectedly nice of him.

Also had a 15 minute walk by the river today, as I was leaving the building and bumped into Tracey who came with me. She is in love with a guy she does fighty tai chi with, but the relationship is somewhat brittle. Yesterday she was radiant with happiness, today she was sickled o’er with the pale cast of thought with the dilemma of loving someone you want to change.

MJ sent me a truly excellent poem this morning called First Anniversary. Also sent me a picture of a poisoned clown cake to cheer me up at work, this an other items had me snickering at my desk like a madman.

Got a mystifying text from Reuben on the train home: Eno is a pervert and a bore. Naturally I asked if had been drinking but it seems he hadn’t. Despite this oddness he and Claire have invited me to supper on Saturday which I am looking forward to.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Leeks cause gross motor problems, hence ankle twisting. When next tempted to cook disgusting leek dish, try this instead:

Coconut Ginger Fried Rice
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Ingredients:
1 cup uncooked Texmati or similar aromatic rice
1 cup reduced-fat coconut milk
1 cup water
1 tablespoon fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 carrots, diced
2 tablespoons sweetened, flaked coconut
1 clove garlic
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest

Method:
In a medium sized pot over high heat, combine one cup water, rice, coconut milk, ginger and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover, simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, about five minutes. Fluff with fork. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt butter over high heat. Add carrots, coconut and garlic. Cook, stirring constantly, until carrots soften slightly, three to four minutes. Add rice mixture. Cook, stirring frequently until rice is lightly browned and no longer sticky, three to four minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in cilantro and lemon zest.
Makes 4 servings.
Anonymous said…
I think the difference is, you're reading the book through the lens of having listened to and enjoyed his music.

I've only heard his stuff with Talking Heads which is admittedly pretty good.

Perhaps I need a PK masterclass?