Saturday saw me springing up from bed with a song on my lips to head down Trafalgar Street to the marvellous Patisserie. As I emerged from my Twitten I bumped into Anton and Baby Klauds returning from said patisserie. Anton and me sporting identical hoody tops. Sometimes I catch him copying my mannerisms and walk too. He worries me.

Reaching the place of baked goodness I saw they had some little madeleine cakes so I bought a couple as I’d never tasted them. Having once read required chapters of Proust I wanted to understand how their taste could bring about a moment of being whisked back through time to an unconscious memory. Although clearly never having eaten one this wasn’t going to happen to me. They were nice but far too buttery and sweet to sit well with current health neuroses. Chewy brown bread on the other hand excellent and manly.

Returned home to book a flight to New York for Easter, for these days I am the sort of Peter Kenny who does such things. I have been invited to Easter party by Mary Jane complete with Easter bunny, an offer that was hard to refuse. I have long wanted to go to New York and now I will, although I suspect the place will be crawling with colonials.

After this I surged up the hill and spent the bulk of the day on Anton’s banisters. A whiff of homoeroticism about this but I don’t know why. Keith, Anton’s step dad, also helping. Nice to
see him and Anton’s mum too. Broke from inhaling noxious fumes and dust cloud for heroic bacon sandwich at lunch. Adoration of Baby Klauds during this break. I enjoy her imperious special baby-signing hand waggle to signal the need for drink. It works really well on her parents and I resolved then and there to use it next time I am in a pub with them.

After this Anton drove me off to somewhere called Martha’s Barn which has lots of sofas and furniture in. I swear I go shopping more with Anton that any other human. I’ve never met a man who likes shopping as much as he does. Anyway lots of good stuff in there and I had lengthy chats with woman there and came away with measurements of sofas and scraps of fabric.

We drove after around town a bit, the sun setting over the sea, and Brighton looking really lovely. Returning home spoke to MJ briefly to discuss my trip. Was late to Claire and Reuben’s place so I got a cab at the station. Driver clearly never been to Brighton in his life and had no map. Fortunately I had my pocket map of the place. Felt guilty as I bit his head off, and so was nice to him afterwards to compensate.

Good to see Claire again, I have not seen her for some time but she looks exactly the same. She is a really good person I think and her and Reuben are a strong and loving couple. They now have three boys too all under five which has to be a handful, the middle boy has had a diagnosis of Asperger’s too which clearly demands extra dedication and attention. Reub and me enjoyably sat up late drinking wine and putting the world to rights. He is a good man.

Magic random taxi zoomed me home in a twinkling. Sleepily messaged MJ. All in all a very good day.

Comments