Beautiful day in Brighton. Warmth in the sun as I yet again I strode down into the lanes to the doctor's surgery to flickers of recognition from receptionists. Saw marvellous and thorough South African doctor again. She told me she thought I had a virus and told me to take the rest of the week off.

I was feeling a good deal better today, however, and ended up working fairly hard at home to try to make up some ground for yesterday. Am also writing a piece for a pharmaceutical magazine about taboo -- for which the deadline is tomorrow.

I am defining taboo as the collision of an uncomfortable emotion, with social structures and convention. And often, when this collision occurs, the result is silence. For example most men who experience erection problems or incontinence don't ever go to the doctor to seek help, and they prefer to suffer in silence. I am describing the ways of breaking down these taboos so that people can ask for the help they need.

Got an anonymous posting yesterday about this blog from someone who detested me so much that, after a lengthy and detailed character assassination, ended with the suggestion that I shoot myself. I found this a little extreme, and still marvelling at how such a mild-mannered blog could attract such hatred from a complete stranger.

A neighbour called Tom knocked on the door and introduced himself this evening. Keep forgetting that Brighton is not London and people are far friendlier here.

A plethora of conversations with MJ again today. Apparently her poor bullied sister (known as Weezer Jr.) has a platypus as her spirit animal which rather made me laugh. Was also sent another email full of evil clowns. Something sinister going on here.

Comments