A good weekend. On Friday I received the surveyor’s report about the flat I want to buy. It is riddled with damp and not to be touched with a bargepole. Brooded on this somewhat over the weekend and have decided to pull out of the deal. This means I am looking at the prospect of having no fixed abode in October. However am very relieved I did not already buy this place -- and curiously feel right about this falling through.

Spent Friday drinking again disgracefully. I travelled up to north London in the evening and zoomed off to my folks, where my brother is staying too having zoomed over from Canada. Had a good time celebrating Mason’s birthday. On Saturday I simply hung out getting over my second hangover of the week, and going to a second hand bookshop with Toby. Felt like we were the Crane Brothers (from the TV show Frazier) as we peered at their literature section. I bought a book of guitar tunings and a translation that I hadn't seen of the epic of gilgamesh. In the evening we went out for a very moderate drink in a pub near St Albans called (I think) the Prince Harry. Then Toby and I were joined by mum and mason and we strapped on the nosebag in a pizzeria.

My family are great at lurking about with, and I enjoyed this on Sunday morning too. Mason cooked enough noodles for an army. After gorging on these I had a good journey back to sunny Chiswick in the afternoon and have been writing lists about all the stuff I have to do tomorrow. Bah.

Mindful of it being an interesting passage in my life at the moment. I feel happier than I have felt for some time since my marriage broke up last year, and am now really looking forward to making a new start in my life. The flat falling through is just a blip. I feel that the tide has turned at last.

Comments