In the Poetry Cafe

A bit of an intense day. Feeling very tired, and working hard too with Fernanda the Brazilian art director. A sustaining lunch of baked potato, beans and cheese then, after work, walked off to The Poetry Cafe.

On the way there I was crossing a road, and the lights changed. A psychopath in a Addison Lee cab almost killed me, driving right at me at high speed, and forcing me to leap out of the way.  I banged on his window and shared some of my opinions while the driver grinned at me infuriatingly. It rattled me. 

Arrived at the poetry cafe early and met Robin and one of her old school friends. Our two other poets for the night arrived.  Rishi very much flavour of the month poetry wise, who happens to work at my old agency in Hammersmith, and Anja arrived from Switzerland. Lorraine arrived early to help and be supportive.  In the audience Mum, Lakshmi and her pal Rachel, Craig and Mel and Karam arrived. Good to see Lakshmi, who I've not seen for some time, and Craig and Mel who gave us a present for our wedding last year.

Interesting work from Richi and Anja, and Robin read very well tonight and looking smart in a red dress and black boots.  Robin on good form generally having won another poetry competition too (the announcement of which was embargoed till the day after). Annoyingly I wasn't at my best stumbling over a poem and feeling that I wasn't on it. Hey ho. 

Off to the pub after the reading, with Lorraine, Mum and the handsome Karam (who Mum rather liked) plus Robin and lots of her old school friends. A fast and cheery drink then after farewells,  Lorraine and I made off in a taxi after orienting Mum who marched off into Covent Garden. 

Bought a couple of cans of beer to drink on the train too, and we cabbed home from the station. We arrived home, but tiredness was making me feel tetchy. I have the best wife.

Below me and Robin reading in the Poetry Cafe.



Comments