A spot of English culture

Started some freelance work, working for Germans on stuff for a new product launch all day.  More lined up for next week, which is good as there are some bare boards showing at the bottom of the Kenny coffers after the trips to Guernsey and Paxos. Lorraine working companionably next to me. Spoke to Pat Norrie, for whom I was doing this work, who called me from the airport on his way to Malaysia, and Hong Kong for a large holiday. Sounds exciting.

While I was waiting for final feedback on the copy watching bits of Stewart Lee, who is currently my favourite comedian. See this for example.

A plumber came to fix the boiler problem, which took him some hours. Otherwise little excitement till Lorraine started cooking and sent me out to find some turmeric. Weirdly this proved impossible to find but led me into several shops I don't normally go into, including one staffed by a slightly wild eyed man who after I asked him about turmeric, which he had none of, he came up to me and said, "can I ask you something, what is English culture? I have lived here 12 years and they seem to have none." A slightly bizarre conversation followed for some time, where the man, from Afghanistan, enlarged on a theory, while waving his arms around, that seemed to revolve around the idea that mankind was evil, and even his father and mother's people were at each other's throats. He said everyone else had a culture but the English didn't. I gave the standard line about it being a culture of tolerance, before backing gingerly out of the shop.

Returned home to find Dawn had arrived, and we were able to inflict some of our holiday snaps on her.  Lorraine cooked one of her excellent curries, and then we wandered off to a local bar restaurant on London Road, which was surprisingly good, and caught up on all the gossip - of which there was generous portions.

All a bit tired, however, so sloped home and off to bed. Dawn staying over night and she sloped off reading a book about the plague which made me smile a bit.


Comments