Mark's party

Mark's 18th birthday party today. Off in the car with Lorraine and Sam to join in the fun. A very good afternoon with cake and quiche and boozes and a good deal of lurchy dancing. A real family affair, and it occurred to me that I have known none of these people for more than two years, but it felt very good.

Mark on very good form, having spent most of his adulthood acquainting himself with now-legal boozes. Being Mark, he and Beth did a variety of songs. Also some rambly speeches, and Mark and his brother David being very funny doing hobbit lines from The Lord of the Rings. The family are all rather short.

I gave Mark A Season in Hell, by Arthur Rimbaud which, curiously, he was rather pleased with. I am very fond of Mark, who rather reminds me of myself at that age if I had been able to sing really well. Also good to see Sam on one of his chatty days, having to fend off the attentions of many ladies.

At one point the song Things was played, which brought a tear to my eye reminding me of David my Grandfather. He used to play the song by Bobby Darin when I was a nipper, and it also brought back memories of watching him doing the twist in his front room in Guernsey. Then Lorraine drove me back to the Twitten rather well oiled, before she went home poor soul, to do some work.

Below Mark doing some species of dancing with Sam, Beth and Mark singing.



Comments