Five oh (my God)

Today was my 50th birthday. I am still mostly in denial about this. And as Carl once said, there's only one thing worse than denial, and that's De Amazon.

Lorraine and I met Matty and Kate at breakfast, where Lorraine gave me a lion headed door knocker, which is something I have wanted for ages. Then we off to St Peter Port. It was a fine morning, and I went into the library to get some information about George Métivier, "the Guernsey Burns", and then found myself popping around to the Pollet to buy myself a navy blue Guernsey sweater.

Matty drove us to Moulin Huet pottery where Kate made a purchase, then we walked down to the bay with its warm turquoise water, where I had a quick birthday paddle in the bay I love the most. Everyone seemed to revel in the sun and tranquility of the bay. Eventually it was time to leave, and after the puff uphill,there were fond farewells, and Matty drove Lorraine and I off to the airport.

It was a wonderful flight home (not a thing I often say). But the plane reaches only about 15,000ft on the flight back, and it was a bright clear day with wonderful views over the island as we climbed eastwards away over St Peter Port. Puffy white clouds over England, and London clear from the window as we headed into Gatwick.

Nice to be back and Calliope okay if a little subdued. Lorraine left for home, and I settled into a quiet night in enjoying some beans on toast, and not drinking.

Below Lorraine on the rocks, First Matie in the rocks, a wee hobbit sized Lorraine on the rocks again, and Matty and Kate above the bay.







Comments