Back to work. Took my camera with me and impressed The Gnome with it. Otherwise hard at it for most of the day writing about chronic pain. Sloped out at lunch for 15 minutes in the cold grey day and for want of something to photograph, took a snap of a cormorant cringing on a pile sticking out of the Thames. As I did so a couple stopped me and asked searching questions about it. Clearly I have the air of an authority on cormorants. After asking me if it was a cormorant the man, staring hard at it, said, “you don’t see cormorants do you?” which I quite enjoyed.

My hands were numb when I got back to the office.

In the evening the first Copy Shop Reunion (CSR) of the year. It makes me feel very happy that we were a team of three hacks ten years ago, and we still meet up regularly and with great affection. Kate was saying that it is coming up to ten years since she first met us, when we interviewed her, and Reuben famously wrote “steely” on his pad.

Reuben doing very well at work by the sounds of it, and is off to collect an award in NY in March.

Unless I’d seen it with my own eyes, I would have scarcely credited it, but First Matie had exactly the same camera as me, in the same colour too, which she bought today. Reuben got his out and we gloated over cameras for a while. Met in the Thistle at Victoria, and then sloped off to have some pleasant tucker at a Sri Lankan restaurant.

Then into The Bag O’ Nails for a copy shop lemonades. And after abandoning Kate, Reub and I shooting the breeze on the Brighton train. And the journey seemed to whiz by.

Talked to MJ. She calculated that we’d seen each other on 70 days since we’ve been together. Actually this is much more than a lot of people who live in the same country. We have been very lucky.


Comments