Farewell to Brighton

The great Exodus today. I had a terrible night's sleep, barely sleeping, Lorraine little better. 

But up before seven this morning and to work with a cup of tea and a rapid bacon sandwich. The removal people, Bearded Bros arrived on time, four guys with two big vans, a pleasant can-do bunch.  They got to work instantly and made great progress. We cleaned and hoovered as we went. Beth dropped by to collect some stuff for the tip despite having a stressy day.

Then when the Bros had filled their lorries, they drove off to unload them and send one back. At 12 o'clock however the buyer's lorry arrived. An impasse. The waiting was stressing me lots, so I went for a short walk around Blaker's Park and by the time I returned the  new owners had arrived and they were bringing stuff in. Our guys turned up and at some points there were two lots of removal people, and the galling business of other people ordering people about in your own home. However, mercifully, this crossover was only for an hour and a half and our guys (cheery and efficient versus our buyer's dour and downtrodden crew) were done. We piled into our crammed full car and were out of there like we stole something. 

Mixed feelings. Not least that Lorraine and I found each other in Brighton, and I look back at all the things I did in this town, and all the friends I've made here and the family I gained. But I will be back soon, drinking beers with Anton no doubt. 

Lorraine drove us to Ashford. Almost too exhausted to feel relieved, but we did have moments of deep happiness that we were done. By far the most difficult part of our project was this leaving and packing. 

Once in Ashford we had showers and a doze, and later Lorraine and I had a delivery curry and a small glass of wine. But we felt absolutely exhausted by then. Lorraine has been absolutely brilliant today -- steady, steadfast and cheerful. She kept me calm when I could have gone ballistic, and thus everything was fine.

Called Mum, and many messages from folks. To bed like a zombie. 

Below me and Lorraine, and the Bearded Bros arrive, a glimpse of Blaker's park my moment of tranquility and a snap of flowers in the back garden of Osborne. 






Comments