So... Had a splendid time in Munich. Went down to Brighton on Thursday morning, met Anna Anton, Christian, Jane and Brian. Anna's parents were there too, on duty to look after baby Klauds. Drank Champaign and shortly climbed into the stretch limo that Anna had organised to take us to Gatwick.

The flight to Munich took something like an hour and a half. We took the train from the airport into the city centre where we stayed in a hotel called Hotel Germania. Once arrived we sped out into the city. It was beautifully clean and the centre was extremely attractive. Had an evening meal in the Rathaus. This was the first of the sausages and beer. The Rathaus is the town hall, and we ate inside a beautiful courtyard. After many beers Brian got talking to a German woman who was somewhat worse for wear.

Brian, who explained who the two couples were and then for reasons best known to himself introduced me as a cross dresser known as Annabel. This something of a surprise to me, perhaps even more so because the German woman completely believed this. She shook hands with me after saying goodbye Peter and Annabel.

The Friday was a lovely day. Wandered around town rubbernecking, particularly enjoying the Viktualienmarkt, the food market which smelt of a mingling of lovely cheeses, aromatic sausage, flowers and the fresh smells drifting up from the colourful fruit and vegetable stands. Also the whiffs beer coming from tables of the Beer Garden. This led us to slipping into the nearby Hofbrauhaus which was apparently the venue for an early Hitler rabblerousing speech and a punch up, referred to as the Battle of the Hofbrauhaus. We sat in the garden drinking lunchtime beers and picking at sausages.

After attending to the above, I left the others and found my way to the modern art gallery, called Pinakothek Der Modern. There was some of my favourite artists there. Especially Klee and Ernst, plus Max Beckmann and other Neue Sachlichkeit painters. Fantastic to see paintings I'd only seen in books. There was an exhibition of recent American art too, but I found this dull. Was wandering alone in recent German art when my mobile went and I got in trouble. Apparently it was verboten.

Joined the others again in the Augustiner another immense Beer Hall with a nice garden for more drinks. Lurched back to the hotel before we set off again. Had food in Frauenplatz. When I say food, I mean sausages. Had an immense platter of sixty sausages on a bed of sauerkraut. We all felt sick after this and retired to the Hofbrauhaus where we had an immense Stein of beer. These emormous glasses had the effect of making me feel that we'd all shrunk to hobbit size. There was a traditional Bavarian band playing and the place had an amazing buzz about it. Crept home in taxis after.

My pedometer told me that in between drinking beers I'd walked 15km, which slightly balanced the damage I was doing.

Another terrible night in the hotel. Couldn't sleep and it was quite noisy as I was near the stairs and opposite the lift. Things were going around in my head such as whether the tough negotiating stance I'm taking on this new property is the new one. Worse though, Paul, who'd phoned me in the gallery had, when I'd called him back, talked about my last girlfriend and this sent me into a churning gloom about my love life. I had to get out of bed and write it all down before I had any peace.

Saturday was another beautiful day. I felt like death in the morning but improved as the day progressed. We went to the Olympic park and to the BMW museum (which I was forced to go to because I can't drive, and don't want to drive). The others all enjoyed it however. Then we zoomed up the tower nearby which was about 200 metres high and had spectacular vertigo inducing views. Satisfyingly, Anton was even wussier about this than me.

We then went for a pleasant walk ending up in a peaceful beergarden and eating ribs and drinking more beers. Then another walk and more beers, and then another walk and yet more beers. Yep. It was all about beers and walking.

In the evening we repeated the night before except I would rather stick needles into my eyes than eat another sausage at this point. We did have an incredibly tasty apple pancake at the end, which everyone loved. Then off to the Hofbrauhaus again. This time the place was absolutely pumping. The band playing some traditional tunes and some utterly ghastly ones. Such as the birdy song, and una paloma blanca. But these people from Munich seem to know how to enjoy themselves. Singing and lurching around, but all in a peaceable way. Joined in by drinking more fishbowls of beer to the point where I could not drink another drop, and found the whole prospect of beer appalling. Felt a sense of massive exhaustion combined with an immense bon homie for Anton, Anna, Christian, Jane and Brian.

Taxi home again. The drivers getting lost and arguing with each other at a traffic lights.

Another 15km, and another terrible night's sleep.

Felt dire the next morning. The others looking fairly cheery. Got a taxi to the airport and, unbelievably, Anton insisted on a beer once we'd arrived and gone through customs. I could manage about three sips.

The journey home was fine, and it was a relief to be back. Felt dull with tiredness so the only thing was to have an early night, not drink and sleep blissfully.

This morning back to work. Spent much of the day struggling with Caples entry forms. Had sushi for lunch and went for a swim after work. Drank mineral water at home tonight.

Spoke to the estate agents and things may be okay, and they will go with my offer. Fabulous.




Comments