Quiet rooms and Joan Ozanne

Walked to Hove this morning to visit the Montefiore hospital. Thankfully not from any medical necessity,  but for my Waiting Room project.  I met Tom Collins, a helpful guy who showed me the reception area and then took me to the quiet room. Both places have installations by Brian Eno. One in the reception area called 77 million paintings for Montefiore, which is an endlessly changing electronic image, with tranquil Eno ambient music. I've never seen such a pleasant waiting room, not just the Eno stuff, but flowers, and pleasant staff and free teas and coffees. The wonders of private medicine. The Quiet Room, as its name suggested, a dark room, with the eno ambient music and a big panel with changing soft light. Simple but tremendously effective. I looked in the visitor's books in both places and they were full of compliments about how helpful these environments patients found these.  My estimation of Eno, already high, continues to grow.

On a hospital note, Carl released back into the wild with apparently not too much wrong with him. I had a long chat with Bob today too, which was nice.  I also chatted with Janet, but she was tired and had people around, so I said I'd call her tomorrow. I also got a long chatty email from Joan in Deviation Road, which was great and made me laugh several times.

Walked home, the day by now quite hot again. I met Lorraine who had just replaced the windscreen of the Qashqai it having been chipped twice in the first weeks of ownership. We both worked late this evening, and then after a mackerel supper, nipped next door at nine to visit our new neighbours Philippa and Harvey. A few well behaved drinks. Turns out they are both very scared of spiders, and made me laugh with the tale of an immense bathroom spider that it took 48 hours to deal with.

Home and noticed a note from Richard telling me that Joan Ozanne had died, as Richard said she was the doyenne of Guernsey arts, and a genuinely lovely person. This news made me think of a happy day Richard and I had a few years ago, when we stopped off for coffee with her. 

Below, Joan Ozanne at home in 2010. 77 Million Paintings for Montefiore, by Brian Eno, and Quiet Room for Montefiore by Brian Eno.




Comments