Back in time with Mum and Toby

The heatwave returning. Sam and Jade sleeping peacefully when I left for London today to meet Toby and Mum, where we met in the Dillon's cafe at Waterstones, near UCL, and the bookshop I sometimes pop to when working in Tavistock Square. Nice to get together with Mum and Toby, as these days we usually only get to all be together once a year, when Toby comes over.

Having met up in the cafe, we made our way around the corner to The Petrie Museum of Ancient Egyptian Archeology, which I had never even heard about, despite working in that area on and off for years. Amazing stuff. Both Mum and Toby had been there before, but perhaps it was having two coffees before hand, I was mind-boggled by the antiquity of some of the objects, such as the black topped pots, which were getting on for seven thousand years old. We spent a surprisingly long time lost among the artefacts of Ancient Egypt, pointing out bits of interesting things to one another. Some of the jewellery, and fragments of painted stone and some of the glazes made you realise that this was a culture of colours.

Then a brisk march through the wiltingly-hot streets to find somewhere to sit and chat, and catch up for a bit. We happened on a Zizzi and I had a pizza, and mum had spaghetti bolognese and Toby had a carbonara, and we lapped up lemonades. Then fond farewells with Mum and Toby, and I walked south, eschewing the bus, down to Embankment. Felt a bit sad to say good-bye. The hot throng of rush hour London just getting started. Luckily I made it back to Brighton quickly and easily.

Lorraine returning from doing Pilates, picked me up near the station, and we went home and had mackerel and salad in the garden, and then came indoors to binge watch a murdery Canadian series called Cardinal, which I quite liked despite it being quite violent.

Below black-topped pots, various pieces that caught my eye, and bottom a load of old Shabtis, which were little figurines you were buried with, and magically did the manual work, you were expected to do in the afterlife.  So swept away by all this that I forgot to get a picture of Toby and Mum.






Comments