Displacement activities

Faced with possibly the most boring piece of writing I have had to do for some years, my brain went AWOL. Every time I tried to work I felt my resolve melt like a lump of butter being pressed into a hot pan. While I was trying to force myself to work, and battling fatigue and boredom, I had a great idea for a written project nothing to do with haemophilia. Thanks to having a snooze, cups of tea, playing with Calliope, a trip to sainsburys, and looking at funny but offensive websites like this, I have only just finished my day's work at 10pm.

Spoke to Matty boy and Bob at some length. And in the morning Anna and Oskar came by briefly, offering yet another respite from the ghastly haemophilia. Oskar likes my fish, and was about to have his hair cut before starting school tomorrow. It's hard to believe that that the boy is off to school already.

Comments

muddleglum said…
Yeah, I can understand why things like haemophilia and bad knees can be totally boring.

OTOH, I once came home from my cardiovascular physiology research work and my son proudly showed off his bleeding from nearly all over his body. It wasn't haemophilia, (to me, obviously not) but you can believe I was very interested in the diagnosis and underlying cause.

But, then, I had both previous and immediate cause for my interest, didn't I?

...and my knees are just fine.

(Hope yours get better.)
Peter Kenny said…
Thanks Muddleglum. Today's problem was having to write 24 pages on how therapy x now comes in a slightly larger container than before. Sometimes business communications are mind-bogglingly absurd, and pointing out its absurdity as I did was simply brushed aside.
muddleglum said…
Oh, right. I forgot that sort of thing.

Yeah. I used to work in printing/typesetting/copy reading, and it was enough sometimes to make me want to gibber—slack-jawed, vacant-eyed.

And I wasn't even the one who had to write 'em up.

My sympathy...(as he delicately turns his head, and stomach, from the gruesome sight.)