Corresponding

Gripped by a story idea in the middle of the night. Had to get up and write it down for half an hour before I could go back to sleep.

Once awake started to write the story. I have been searching for another 'quick win', in my authorial campaign, and this may be it: very simple plot, few characters and a mystery at its heart. A 20-30k words piece. Then onto more mundane stuff. A French tweak as the client irrationally took against the word 'astonishing', chased money which resulted in a firm pay-by date. Also wrote to Radio 4 Excess Baggage about A Guernsey Double. Then to Maureen Irvine who is a writer in NZ who was a mutual friend of my late friend Tim Gallagher, also to Mike Vermeulen in Guernsey who has written some children's stories based on the Islands.

Then a knocking on the door - Anna with Klaudia and Oskar. The children raced to a black box decorated with white skull and crossbones on I keep near the fireplace, which is full of unusual sweets left by a mysterious pirate. They took the sachets of stuff that fizzes in your mouth, and then stood on the sofa to get a close view of my fish splashing the surface as I fed them. Anna with lots of work to do, so it was only a brief visit.

Wild arguments and swearing in the Twitten this afternoon and early evening. Three different incidents of people using the Twitten to settle their differences. Infuriating.

A call from First Matie tonight, whose Puffin dog had recently swallowed a fish hook causing enormous trauma and vet bills. Then off to see Lorraine (and my first time setting foot outside the house all day). Cath was at her house, and told us about her excellent Scottish holiday. Sunny as anything apparently. Bah.

And so to bed, I could see stars through the skylight in Lorraine's room. Lorraine herself talking unusually excitably last thing at night which was tiring.

Below: an interesting photo from Anton taken in Jersey, a place I have never been. It is some sort of primitive totem to their Crapaud god. I think Anton had claimed it was dressed in a Chelsea shirt but this is blatantly untrue.

Comments