My lance is carefully removed from its packaging

So off to work again in London, and today my career as a freelancer began - a few weeks ahead of schedule. Today I went to Katie's agency not far from where I used to live in Kew. Had to get up early to be on time, and this seemed an affront to nature. And I almost had someone's eye out struggling onto the train with a 12 foot lance.

Actually I felt slightly nervous, but things were quickly okay, and working around Kate seemed like business as usual. And she made me cups of tea, which is always something I enjoy seeing. And we went out for lunch together, and had a cheeky Friday beer after work with some of her pleasant colleagues.

It is a very different mindset freelancing I think. I went in today, determined to do the best work I could, it is a strange feeling though being able to walk away afterwards realising that you have no responsibilities in the agency other than doing a good job as a visiting creative.

It is probable that they will ask me back next week, so all in all it was a good day. Plus my old agency also called me about some work for them too. This is all good news and made me feel very cheerful.

Then zoomed home, to experience some oxtail stew that the nice Lorraine had made as I have never tasted this in my life. Hmm. Oxy. A real winter warmer, very nicely cooked with pearl barley potatoes and other veggies. Not sure about the oxtails though. They may fall into the sparsely-populated Foods that are Wrong group, the chief culprit of which is marzipan, food of Satan.

Comments

Kate said…
I would just like to make sure that mushrooms are included in the official 'food of satan' group. This is important.
claire said…
any sort of offal should also fall under this category.
Peter Kenny said…
Funny that, I have seen with my own eyes First Matie clean her plate and ask for more mushrooms at the French Bloke's house once. And as for offal. I draw the line at brains and anything to do with the digestive tract, such as tripe. I had beef intestines in Japan, which came in second to the eel intestines as the most er... challenging dish.
Kate said…
That was a singular occasion, and they didn't taste of mushrooms. Also not convinced that I asked for more. And offal is just wrong in any shape or form. As is caviar (raw fish eggs? Who the hell decided that would be fun to eat?).