My big fat Greek Christmas

A slogfest today, had my head down doing my freelance all day in my study struggling to meet a deadline. Have another three days work next week too, however, so this is good. Once done, at 5:30 I set off to Highgate to see Sophie.

For the second year in a row, I went to Sophie's "my big fat Greek Christmas" party, where she manages to collect all kinds of interesting and likable people: I spoke to several writers and journalists, and a dancer who was feeling horribly old at 29 and wondering if her dance career was over. But mostly it was lovely to see Sophie and Andros and Christof and Electra. Young Christof lent me a DVD of the Mighty Boosh to further my comedy education.

There were mountains of food, of course, including an impressive and yummy spanakopita, spinach pie. At some point Sophie also pressed a large glass of Metaxa brandy on me too to complete the experience. Just had a lovely time all night. The only moment that wasn't excellent was sitting down, after pontificating about something or other, on a kitchen chair. This collapsed, legs splaying, and I found myself on the floor on my back looking at the ceiling. A moment that lacked dignity.

After everyone left, and a conversation with the bitter-enders about the middle east with Andros on sparky form, Sophie and I tidied up a bit, and sat chatting till 3.00am, suddenly struck by some ideas for business. Eventually it was definitely time for bed, which for me was a surprisingly comfortable sofa.

Comments