A good day, but quite long. Started work at 8, slogged at some grim copy till lunch then was driven off to my pharmaceutical client to discuss erection problems and how to tackle them in print. Bizarre life at the moment. Went with Belinda and Alice. B, who is from Australia, entertaining us with a vocal impression of a disgruntled koala bear as we drove.

Meeting grew tiresome as they began to discuss invoices and, as I was scared by an invoice as a child, I escaped and called my mother on the phone to see if Toby had departed safely. Then I called the boy Bob who sounds as if he needs a beer and a good shaking. Then Alice joined me in the lobby and we disussed Buddhism for a while. Her parents are both Buddhists apparently.

We were too late returning to London for me to swim, but instead I grilled mackerel with abandon and invested the house with a penetrating fishy smell.

Mrs Kenny complaining as she was unable to reach some crisps I'd put up high in the kitchen. I enjoyed mental picture of her waving her sticks at them. Otherwise she remains remarkably positive.

Anton called this morning and has set the day for his wedding, which will be an excellent opportunity for me to give a speech and get him back for years of torment. I was explaining to B and Alice today as we zoomed towards our client that Anton is the kind of friend that, knowing you are a bad flier, will send you emails of particularly famous plane crashes culled from his favourite books Air Disaster 1, Air Disaster 2 and Air Disaster 3. Or when you fly off to your beloved Guernsey hand you a German phrase book in a complex and insulting reference to WW2 collaborators. The day when revenge comes will be a sweet one.

As I type this I am listening to the magnificent sugababes. Sometimes only pop music will do.

Comments