Off to Westport in Ireland. Will meet Matty boy at Gatwick and fly to Knock International and from there travel to the west coast for Marcella's 30th birthday party. Also be looking forward to getting outside a few Guinesses and brooding about YB Yeats and hearing Paula laugh like a seagull again.

Otherwise have had a reasonable week, where I began swimming again, and generally taking care of myself. Yesterday, however, ended up in a slightly ill-advised pre-drink-in-Ireland drink last night with my boss, Michel, Hazel, Robbie and others, and woke up in Brighton being prodded by a cleaner having fallen into a blissful sleep. Home, and gabbling to MJ on the phone for ages. The bailiffs will be coming for my stuff shortly after phone bill.

Have played chess with Anton this week. We won one game each and abandoned the third (although I would have won it easily). He has nasty and aggressive way of playing chess -- nothing elegant at all about it; just a bloodbath -- which is quite revealing of evil inner Anton.

Back intermittently on horse pills as ankle has broken down again thanks to overuse and banging it on the side of swimming pool like a chump. Don't know what is up with me as I am normally rather balletic and graceful in my movements for a larger man.

Election date has been announced for 5th May and for the first time I am considering not voting. Remembering again being shouted at by anarchist who was saying "don't vote -- it only encourages them".

Spoke to Toby Kenny this week and am really looking forward to seeing the house he and Romy have bought in Toronto. Will try to slide over there at some point.

Feeling very happy and surrounded by friends, have arranged to see Mark again rather than leaving it the full fifteen years like last time. Also invited Paddy down to stay too.

Missing MJ, however, is like some hideous medieval torture conducted in foul oubliette with loads of spiky things. This is slightly mitigated by the internet and telephones. Not the same as being able to see the whites of her eyes though, or that strange smiling thing that I like so much. However there is now less than a fortnight before these demands are met.

Apparently she and Johanna are planning sock theatre version of Pride and Prejudice for car rides, although there is a difference of opinion about who gets to be Elizabeth Bennet. Am reading Persuasion at the moment in the hope of not appearing to have a small brain and be a total Austen dunce, as I have only read P&P before. Silly, galling parents and relatives in both books. She does embarrassment and saintly rising above irritation really well I think.

Beer badgers have been again last night. Need to wash up things and pack and prepare myself for (groan) the flight. I wonder if there will ever come a time in my life when I don't dread flying.

Comments