Blissful day today. Having moved all my belongings from my flat and put them into storage. Leaving my flat in chiswick was a fantastic feeling. I associate the place with a period of uncomfortable transition and quite a lot of straightforward gloom and misery. I walked out laden with four bags, after the removal guys had taken the rest, and did not look back.

It was amazingly hassle free and I felt tired but cheery all day, even as I was cleaning fridges and toilets and so on. The removal guys were fine and I also got them to pack my stuff. One reeked so strongly of garlic that I could smell him in the flat an hour after he'd gone. I love garlic and eat it all the time, but I don't think I exude garlic like that. Reminds me of when Maddog reeked of garlic for a week after getting home starving hungry and drunk with nothing other than a raw bulb of garlic to eat. Anton was working with Maddog at the time and I remember him moaning about it.

I was absolutely shattered when I turned up at my mother's place like a narcoleptic, albeit a hungry one. As I travelled on the tube to North London my friend Mark called me. We have been friends since we were 11 and were at school together. We'd lost touch some time ago but he found me on the internet and contacted me. This is brilliant, and I can't wait to put the world to rights with him over a beer somewhere. This followed hot on the heels of a University friend of mine Sue doing the same last week. Typically my battery died on my mobile as we were speaking, but he called me again later when I'd recharged.

Today I had a day's holiday, and was absolutely free. Nothing to organise, and no work to be done.

Had a bit of an Edward Thomas morning. I walked for two hours some of it in woods on the edge of London near where my mother lives called Stanmore Country park. Came across a pond that gave me a sort of haiku moment. White swan ghosting slowly towards me on a surface carpeted with duckweed and dotted with floating golden leaves. The swan made a small wake of black water which was rapidly reclaimed by the green. It stopped about six feet from me and we looked at each other for a couple of minutes till it pushed off again because I wasn't feeding it.

Back to my mother's place this afternoon. Spent time restringing Bianca my guitar and reading a pal's manuscript for a children's book, and it is very good so far. Allowed myself the luxury of more sleep and as a result beginning to appear slightly less cadaverous today.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Would that be the infamous Mark Hartley by any chance?