Budapest - scrap of a diary I found in April 2011

Another enjoyable day today. Went to the fine art museum in Victory Square by metro -- the MI. Very fast journey. Just went with Mum as Mason went to the US embassy to investigate things to do with his website. Lots of interesting art there, but only managed to see a small amount in an hour and a half. Bruegel (older and younger) particularly top. Some Goya too. Ghastly queue to get in with no apparent organisation for half an hour. Also strange Stasi like way the attendants shadow you as you look at the paintings. I took my Berghaus off at one point and slung it over my shoulder. I was told firmly that I had to carry it under my arm.

Back to the Kommedia for a bite to eat and some coffee. Mason had been to a tea shop to talk about business and come back with a bag of exotic teas they'd given him. Mason then went back to the hotel to talk to the embassy guy on the phone and Mum and I took the metro to the Buda side of the river. Got confused and flustered en route and had irritatingly left my map in the restaurant. Easy journey nevertheless and got out at Moskva Ter and walked up the hill to the castle area. Wonderful views of Pest especially from Halaszbastya - the fishermen's bastion. Very cold and windy however. Got back to Opera within 15 minutes of getting on board the tube at Moskva.

Then next door to the Opera to see McBeth by Vivaldi. Fabulous opera house. Really enjoyed the opera too, or at least the experience of it.

Comments