Plumbing

Betty still in her student digs, evidently in some pain which began to wear off as the evening progressed.

Sacked my charming plumber whose heel dragging was explained when he said he'd be unable to do the work for weeks anyway. A new plumber will look at the Twitten first thing Monday.

Found myself irritated by this. I think it is because being the captain of my own destiny has been harder this year than in recent years. It must be the same for many in these difficult economic times. This translates into frustration when I fail to get a plumber to be straight about a job I will pay him for.  Luckily though I have pinpointed these feelings, and need to work to change my attitude.

Also did some billing, then spent much of the day much more happily, working on the business book, and editing the introductory 'Orientations' section, to make it leaner, harder-nosed and less fluffy.

Also finished Brideshead Revisited, which I'd really enjoyed. Perhaps it was because it was written in wartime, in 1944, that there is a world-weariness and longing for transcendence about it, which made it an especially good read now, coincident with another austerity budget from our bungling cabinet of toffs and my own, currently jaded, feelings.

Walked to Starbucks for a breath of fresh air and to change the scene for a couple of hours and to have a coffee and a blueberry muffin. Starbucks announced a voluntary payment of avoided tax today. I'd love to announce the amount of tax I wanted to pay and can't think why this isn't standard practice.  Their wifi is free and good, however, but their coffee and muffins are only average.

When I returned home, I worked downstairs spreading out the sixteen or so pages of the introduction on the kitchen island, and hacking at them.

Lorraine home, and tired after all the adventures of the week. Cooked for Lorraine and snacked, talking to mum briefly, watched TV and went to bed listening to the heavy rain on the roof.

Comments