Mex and I went out with our ginger pals Kate and Mark. We scarfed a fast pizza where we discussed houses and our respective moves to Brighton and Scarborough. Kate said she'd had her first poem published and was pleased about that. She'd also just started kickboxing. She said that she'd never punched anything in her life and it felt strange.

Then to the Headliners comedy club in the George IV pub on Chiswick High Road. The venue was already crowded when we got there, and the only free seats were right next to the stage. Naturally we were picked on -- me within 30 seconds of the first act. A redhaired Scot. Managed to evade too much ridicule when he asked me what I did. I stole Nev's (my old art director) line, which worked a treat...
"What do you do then?"
"Paint yellas."
"What?"
"Paint yellas."
Comedian momentarily lost for words.
"Double yellas and single yellas."
"You paint lines on the street? I don't believe you, what do you really do?"
"Paint yellas."
Comedian turns to Mrs Kenny.
"What does he do really?"
Mrs Kenny: "he paints yellas."
Which had the effect of stopping comedian in tracks.

Funny how when you're in a comedy audience you are recognised for your baldness, or size, or married status when you are being targeted by a comedian. It's refreshingly uncomplicated, and gives you a real shared experience with the rest of the audience. Quite a friendly vibe afterwards. Or maybe that was because Mark and I had tucked into a several pints of London Pride.



Comments