Enjoyable night last night. Went to a private view at the Tom Halford Gallery to see Peter Stowell's exhibition -- a survivor's art Part One '...Before...'. He is actually my mother's half brother, and I'd not seen him for 20 years. I also met his brother Alex and his wife Pivey, plus two cousins I'd never met called Nina and Sarah, who I liked a lot. Complicated families....

Peter's art was interesting. Really good titles to his paintings. I particularly enjoyed "Playful ghosts of my former girlfriends" as a title, or "Visions of myself and Glenys escaping from the Green Gate pub and finding places of safety". And there were series of odd mechanical looking drawings. One particularly I liked was of a called "Pen and Ink mystery". Which had labels like a scientific diagram but they were written in an invented language. The idea of labelling is supposed to make things clearer -- and I enjoyed the fact these labels only added more mystery.

Last weekend I went down to Southsea to see my pals Anton and Anna. Played about a lot. Played pool with Anton in the Pub, plus a bitterly contested Trivial Pursuits -- Lord of the Rings version. Had to help Anton move a sodden futon from his back garden which had been used by the cat as a toilet. After struggling with the dead weight for a while and loading it into his car I noticed we smelled quite strongly of cat urine. This -- Pooterishly enough -- I had got on my new coat, which made me feel like a tramp as I travelled back in the London bound train.

The Midwife turned up when I was there and so I was able to hear the beating heart of my future godchild. Any day now...
Anna is radiant and really happy. I find myself really looking forward to the event too.





Comments