West coast day

First of the month, and a big day. After the full Guernsey breakfast, I mooched off for a walk leaving Lorraine sunning herself by the pool. On the way to St Martin's graveyard, I was accosted by a woman in her fifties who asked me what I was photographing and lots of other questions and she told me where she had been to school in England.

In the graveyard I browsed among the graves for people I knew. There are several there including Gwen and Dave of course, my grandparents. I moved on after a while and then went into the graveyard where I had a lengthy chat with the man who looks after the place, and keeps all the lawns trim. Friendly bloke and we talked about the recent lack of rainfall and so on. Afterwards I remembered a dubious character called Graveyard George who I used to speak to when a child. He smoked lots but always respectfully tipped the ash into his hand and put it in his jacket pocket. 

Back to Lorraine and after a bite to eat, caught a cab out to the west Coast to Le Tricoteur where I scored a new Guernsey. Fits beautifully and it made me very happy. Lorraine tried on some jumpers too but she was a bit unhappy with the collar which is quite high, and the cut wasn't quite right for her. I told the woman I had to have one as Anton has one from there and has appropriated my history and culture. Poor woman a bit bemused.

Then Lorraine and I embarked on a long walk, mooching along Rocquaine bay and then up to look across at Lihou Island. Before we got there we came across Le Creux ès Faïes -- the cave of the fairies a prehistoric passage grave dating from some time in the Neolithic period c4000-2500 BC, which a lot of local folklore has attached itself to. I ducked in to have a look and take a few snaps. Lorraine, for reasons she could not explain, did not want to go in. I blame the fairies.

There is also an immense German bunker built atop a former martello tower and we came across some old trenches leading into it. The tide was out and there were one or two walkers making their way across to Lihou. 

Then after walking on a bit, we decided to catch a bus, which took us to the top of Vazon. We were heading for The Rockmount for a drink and a miserable git of a bus driver said his bus went nowhere near it.  However we caught it anyway and got out at the top of Vazon and simply walked for ten minutes to Cobo bay. We had icecream on the beach and sat there in the sun, while Lorraine knitted one of her tentacles, and I paddled in the warm water before we repaired to the pub. Very busy, with everyone crammed in soaking up the sun on the west coast. We had a drink there and decided to get fish and chips along the road. When we reached there the place was closed however due to 'no staff'.

Lorraine and I jumped on a bus into town instead, and caught a cab back to the hotel from there. We tried to eat at Les Douvres, but it was full, but managed to squeeze into The Captains for dinner and a pint of cider. Nice. 

Sauntered back to the hotel, feeling tired after a long day of walking about. We looked for bats. Then  went to bed.























 

Comments